Monday, June 6, 2011

Upsetting Math

So, I've been "officially" reading for orals for 12 days, and I've only read two books. Not a very good average, I'm afraid--I think I need to get it a little closer to 1 per day and farther from 1 per week. Granted, these are kinda long ones; poems & plays & modernist novels will take less time, and also I'm swanning around visiting churches and historical monuments & so on. And, as I've said, I've read a lot of the books on my list already, so I can maybe do some desperate skimming of old favorites towards the end. But this is what the math looks like:  

I have to read about 130 books.
I have approximately 180 days of "uninterrupted" reading time (90 days this summer; then in the fall semester I'll be taking 2 courses and teaching one, and since fall 2011 is the semester my school chose to roll out all the 20th-century classes I'm taking 'em, even though I've committed to the 19th--I'm still interested in this C20 stuff, and I think it's important for me to think & write about it; then in December & January I'll be writing final papers for those classes; then in February, March, and April I'll be doing my not-showering, not-sleeping, serious reading, apparently)

So about 130 books /  180 days of reading time = 0.72 books a day. Which really means one book a day, because some days you don't read at all, because you're at a fun fair or visiting a relative or something.)

Yikes yikes yikes. My current rate of 0.167 books/day is not looking very good.

Onward & upward! We're going to Casa Guidi tomorrow, I think, and possibly the English cemetery, so it's probably time for some EBB. I should brush up on Aurora Leigh, which she wrote in Florence (right?) so maybe I will a little, but I also haven't read Sonnets from the Portuguese and a lot of other stuff, so maybe that will be my "official" reading for a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment