Monday, June 6, 2011

Woman in White: Finished!

Not too many surprises after the 93%.

SPOILERS

 Count Fosco having conditions was a little surprising, and I was worried about him & Hartright dueling, but I also figured that guy with the scar would finish him off. And I was right! Everybody who was bad or annoying died. Everybody who was nice lived, except of course for somebody eponymous.

Here's a question: when you were in the middle of the book, were you ever worried that Walter & Marian were totally deluded and the woman they got out of the asylum really was Anne Catherick after all? It would have been interesting to retain that suspicion, don't you think? Even the Woman in White herself might not have known! It would have been very Inception.

Also I kind of wanted something to be done with Marian's resemblance to her mother, since they seemed like another pair of doubles that could have messed stuff up. Like what if the WiW was all affectionate and loving of Marian, so they thought that meant she was really Laura, but she was really the monomaniacal AC feeling her monomaniacal love for the dead mom? Things worked out better the way they happened, I guess, but it would have been spooooookier in my version.

END SPOILERS
and end entry, come to think of it. I'll put the rest of my blather in another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment